Car Accident Preparation: What to Know
Whether it’s a small collision with another vehicle, or your car has simply cut out on the highway, accidents do happen. Realizing the normality of these situations before they occur can help you to mentally, emotionally and physically prepare for their occurrence. For most people, the extent of their current car accident preparation kit is usually just the scrawled name and number of a towing service. Residents aren’t strangers to the huge variety of problems that can occur on their roads, and some were able to give astute advice for things to have in an accident prep kit for towing Strasburg VA.
We’ve taken their knowledge and put some facts behind it to help you prepare an accident preparation kit which can save you time, money, and stress.
Have Your Papers In Order and Ready – Towing Strasburg VA
Whether you hit someone else, or simply damaged public property, an inevitable part of the post-accident process is the handing over of personal and insurance details. During this time directly after a crash, tensions are understandably high, and having to contact home or dig through your car to find your documents can be stressful for all parties involved. Make sure to have the following in a water-proof folder:
- Drivers License – you should have this on you at all times when you’re driving, as it is required by law
- Insurance Documents – have all relevant insurance information printed and ready, it may even help to have spare copies you can give to others if need be
- Relevant Emergency Numbers – this can include a family member or friend who can help in emergencies, as well as the number of your local mechanic and local towing Strasburg VA residents can use 540-481-0658
- Personal Medical Information – any personal medical information that you believe may be relevant can also be kept with this other information.
Have a First-Aid Kit Ready
While most car owners will know exactly where their first-aid kit is in their car, there are still many people who don’t realize their importance. Having a first-aid kit isn’t simply to try and fix any medical problems that occur, but they can buy you or others precious time while getting to the hospital. A good first-aid kit should contain:
- Cotton balls
- Cotton swabs
- A digital thermometer
- Curved scissors (the medical kind used for cutting clothes)
- Adhesive Band-Aids for covering cuts
- Gauze pads for treating wounds
- Safety pins for closing bandages
- Adhesive tape
- Antibiotic ointment
- Antiseptic and hydrocortisone cream for skin inflammation and rashes
- Antihistamine for allergic reactions
- Antiseptic wipes to sanitize your hands
- Aspirin, Ibuprofen, or other pain relieving medication
- Aloe Vera to treat mild burns
- Insect bite relief pads
- A needle
- Hand sanitizer
- Saline solution for eye washing or cleaning wounds
Thankfully you won’t need to buy all of these items individually, they often come packaged and can be found in most department stores.
As one can imagine, regardless of how good you are at stress management, a car accident can be incredibly stressful and anxiety-inducing. If you’re prone to anxiety then you may consider preparing some things which can help you to calm down and remain calm. These could be:
- A bottle of water – hydration can help break through shock response
- Something sweet like chocolate or candy – these can cut through any dizziness you may feel after a crash
- A comforting smell – whether it’s your favorite essential oil or something that smells like your partner, smell is a great sense to use to ground oneself
- A stress ball – if you’re easily aggravated a stress ball can help you to focus on the matter at hand
- Spare anxiety relief medication – if you’re currently medicating for anxiety, putting one pill in your mental first-aid kit can give you the means to calm yourself down quickly
Unlike the first-aid kit, this can be made of whatever you want, and is only meant to help you to calm down enough to deal with the accident.
Other Useful Items
There are some other things which may help in certain environments, such as a warm blanket for those who live in a cold climate. You may also want to prepare a spare set of clothes just in case something happens to the ones you’re wearing and you can’t make it home to change immediately.
Car Accident Preparation: Towing Strasburg VA
Preparation is important, but accidents are sometimes unavoidable–especially those that are caused by other drivers. Having been in the industry for several years now, we’ve seen how people can make their situation exponentially worse by not dealing with their crash in a calm manner. That’s why we’ve taken it upon ourselves to help people find ways to prepare for what truly is inevitable, and to have more in the way of preparation than just the number of a towing service in Woodstock VA.
However, if that time should come that you need a tow or roadside assistance, contact us today!