Roadside Assistance: Tow or Repair?
Before calling us for our towing service and roadside assistance in Woodstock VA, it’s helpful to know whether or not your call simply needs a roadside repair. Breakdowns occur for any number of reasons, and there are usually some signs which can indicate why.
The price difference between a towing service and a roadside repair can be quite substantial. So knowing which one you need when your car breaks down can save you both time and money.
Here are some telltale signs of whether your broken down car needs a tow or a roadside repair.
Common Causes of Breakdowns
There are a handful of things which can account for a majority of cars breaking down on the side of the road. Recognizing signs of these can empower you to find your own solutions before needing to call for professional help.
Out of Gas
Running out of petrol or diesel is something that probably 90% of drivers will face at some point or another. The most common reason for running out of gas is poor planning, as your car’s tank will hold a certain amount of gas, which will take it a certain amount of miles. Whether you’re running late for work, on a road trip, or simply running around doing errands; it’s always important to keep an eye on your fuel gauge.
Some tips to help you from running out of gas include:
- Fueling your car up regularly on the same day at the same time each week.
- Checking how many miles your car does on a full tank, and recognizing each section of the fuel gauge as telling you how many miles you can drive.
- Filling your car completely when you do put gas in, instead of just putting $10 or $20 at a time.
- Having a jerry can full of petrol in your boot or somewhere safe in your vehicle.
The most typical cause of a flat battery is leaving the lights on when the engine’s off. Although driving lots of short journeys, having many devices plugged in, or small faults in the battery’s connection can cause this too.
The best thing you can do to avoid this is to get into the habit of turning your lights off the second you arrive at your destination. Also getting your car regularly serviced, and not being shy about buying a new battery every few years if your current one seems worn at all. Also having jumper cables in your boot will allow you to bring your car back to life with the help of a nearby “good samaritan”.
Another painfully common cause of breakdowns, a flat tire can occur for any number of reasons. It could be due to something sharp on the road, or perhaps the tread has worn down too much. Regularly checking your tread, as well as replacing your tires with high quality replacements can help to avoid this problem. Also be sure to have a good quality spacer easily accessible somewhere in the car, as well as the tools to change it.
All of these problems can be solved by oneself on the side of the road, but there are many other causes of breakdowns which can’t. Here are some of the bigger problems, and whether you should call for a towing service or roadside repair. We offer both roadside assistance in Woodstock VA, so having our number written down can be a great help.
- Too much or too little engine oil can cause a range of problems – depending on the severity of the problem, roadside assistance can top your engine up. Otherwise a towing service can take you to a mechanic to have the engine flushed and oil refilled.
- Engine overheating – as with engine oil problems, overheating can have a few different causes and effects. If there’s steam coming from your engine get in touch with a nearby towing service, and don’t touch your bonnet!
- Traffic accidents – regardless of who is to blame, traffic accidents happen, and your first concern should be your own safety, then that of the people in the other vehicle. Depending on how bad the accident was you may need to call a towing service to move your vehicle.
If You’re Not Sure, Give Us a Call!
If you’ve had a breakdown and none of these given problems are to blame, then you may want to give us a call. We provide both roadside assistance in Woodstock, as well as a professional towing service.
So if you need help, give us a call today!